Salem Radio Network News Monday, August 17, 2026

Business

Trump says his administration is taking a look at Flock cameras (VIDEO)

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

(AP) – President Donald Trukp says there are pros and cons to Flock Safety cameras, which have come under scrutiny from civil rights groups and lawmakers in both parties. 

“It’s being studied right now,” Trump said when asked about the subject Monday at an Oval Office event. “We’ll have an answer soon as to our views on it.” 

The company’s nationwide network of cameras record the license plate numbers and other characteristics of passing vehicles. 

Thousands of police agencies can use Flock data to support investigations, and advocates call it an important crime-fighting tool. Critics say it amounts to needless mass surveillance. 

Trump sits with 10-year-old and his lifeguard rescuer in Oval Office 

Nathanial Rai had been swept off his feet along the California coast, was rescued by a 16-year-old lifeguard and was now sitting in the Oval Office. 

Rai wore a dark suit and maroon tie and sat on a gold couch aside his father and the president of the United States. Across from Rai was his rescuer Ryder Williams, both of whom watched Trump speak of their ordeal, a video of which went viral. 

“He’s a real hero. I don’t know if I’d do it,” said Trump. “I wouldn’t probably. You’re lucky I wasn’t on the service that day.” 

President Donald Trump is scaling back joint exercises with South Korea as his war against Iran stretches the limits of the U.S. military. Trump cited his good relationship with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un. The USS George Washington is replacing the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East amid growing concerns about the crew’s well-being aboard the long-deployed Lincoln. The move leaves the western Pacific without a key military asset as China shows more signs of aggression. And the BBC is seeking federal court help in getting documents and testimony from Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and Donald Trump Jr. to defend against Trump’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit. 

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea 

President Trump is directing the Pentagon to significantly reduce upcoming joint military exercises with South Korea, arguing the costly operations burden American taxpayers while sending the wrong message to North Korea. 

In a post on Truth Social Sunday, the president announced he has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the exercises, even though he acknowledged it is too late to cancel them outright. 

Mr. Trump said the annual drills, which have long been conducted to maintain military readiness and strengthen the alliance between Washington and Seoul, are expensive and largely financed by the United States. 

The president argued that the exercises also create unnecessary friction with North Korea at a time when he says relations with Pyongyang have remained stable during his administration. 

Mr. Trump wrote that the drills “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” toward North Korea, adding that the country has been “unthreatening and respectful” while he has been in office. 

The president pointed to his personal relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a reason for pursuing a different approach. Trump has frequently highlighted his diplomatic contacts with Kim and has argued that direct engagement can reduce tensions on the Korean Peninsula more effectively than military demonstrations. 

Mr. Trump also tied his decision to what he described as a lack of cooperation from South Korea on another major foreign policy priority. 

According to the president, he recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae-myung whether Seoul would participate in efforts aimed at the denuclearization of Iran. Trump said the South Korean leader declined the request. 

In his Truth Social post, Mr. Trump quoted the response as, “No thanks!” 

The president suggested that South Korea’s refusal to assist with efforts against Iran raised broader questions about the alliance and America’s longstanding commitment of resources to defend the prosperous Asian nation. 

Trump supporters have long argued that wealthy allies should shoulder a greater share of their own defense costs rather than relying heavily on American taxpayers and U.S. military power. 

They say reducing the exercises reflects an America First approach that prioritizes fiscal responsibility while seeking diplomatic solutions to international disputes. 

PHOTO- screen capture of video from White House

 

 

 

Previous
The Media Line News
X CLOSE