5 Minutes at the Top of the Hour
Latest news stories from around the world brought to you at the top of the hourListen Now »
NewsView More »
( ) -q-25- UNDATED (Correspondent Jeremy House) “since the 1980s.”
Britain’s Treasury chief says taming inflation is more important than cutting taxes.
[CutID: <Cuts> UK-ECONOMY-house-q-FRIam.mp3
Out-cue: since the 1980s]
TAG: Correspondent Jeremy House reporting. At a speech Friday in London, Hunt said “the best tax cut right now is a cut in inflation.” Hunt said he wanted Britain to be a low-tax economy but “with volatile markets and high inflation, sound money must come first.”
VERBATIM: Jeremy Hunt is resisting calls from some in the governing Conservative Party for immediate tax breaks for businesses and voters. The U.K.’s annual inflation rate hit a four-decade high of 11.1% in October, fueling a cost-of-living crisis and a wave of strikes. It has since eased but still reached a painful 10.5% in December and is the highest since the 1980s.
- Low-cost fashion chain H&M reports 4th-quarter lossFri, Jan 27, 2023 at 11:16 am
- Germany hopes to get ‘green hydrogen’ from Australia by 2030Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 11:15 am
- Tesla says its 4Q profit rose 59%, expects strong demandThu, Jan 26, 2023 at 10:08 am
Greg Clugston SRN News White House correspondentView More »
- Biden to work with new chief of staff soonSun, Jan 29, 2023 at 7:03 am
- White House condemns Jerusalem synagogue “terror attack”Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 4:49 pm
- Pence takes responsibility for classified docs, “mistakes were made”Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Bob Agnew SRN News U.S. Senate correspondentView More »
It’s the latest evidence that the Fed’s series of interest rate hikes is slowing the economy. Prices rose 5% last month compared to the previous year, DOWN from the 5.5% year-over-year increase seen in November. It was the third straight drop.Listen Download
- Senator Manchin Seeks To Delay New EV Tax CreditsWed, Jan 25, 2023 at 1:45 pm
- McCarthy Says Santos Will Be Removed If He Broke The LawWed, Jan 25, 2023 at 1:15 pm
- Inventors Group Opposes Issa To Chair Intellectual Property SubcommitteeWed, Jan 25, 2023 at 11:43 am
Bernie Bennett SRN News U.S. House correspondentView More »
The former President is kicking off his 2024 campaign with two stops along the East Coast. More from Correspondent Bernie Bennett.
Former President Donald Trump kicked off his 2024 White House bid with a stop Saturday in New Hampshire before heading to South Carolina, appearances in early-voting states marking the first campaign events since announcing his latest run more than two months ago.
Those states hold two of the party’s first three nominating contests, giving them enormous power in selecting the nominee.
Mr. Trump and his allies hope the events will offer a show of force behind the former president after a sluggish start to his campaign. In recent weeks, his backers have reached out to political operatives and elected officials to secure support for Mr. Trump at a critical point when other Republicans are preparing their own expected challenges.
Bernie Bennett reporting.Listen Download
- Migration Within the Country Grows the Population of the SouthSat, Jan 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
- New Inflation ReportThu, Jan 12, 2023 at 2:03 pm
- New Poll on the Selection of House SpeakerThu, Jan 12, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Michael Harrington SRN News religion desk editorView More »
Indictments have been handed up in attacks on pro-life pregnancy centers
VERBATIM: A federal grand jury has charged two Florida men with vandalizing pro-life facilities in Winter Haven, Hollywood and Hialeah. Marjorie Dannenfelser of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America says it’s about time, adding “Since the leak of the Dobbs decision eight months ago, there have been at least 79 attacks — including firebombings and threats of violence — on pregnancy centers and other nonprofits working to save lives.” She credits GOP lawmakers for pressuring the Department of Justice. Michael Harrington, SRN News.
- The international governing body of track and field ponders transgenderismThu, Jan 26, 2023 at 9:55 am
- America’s parents talk about faith and their childrenWed, Jan 25, 2023 at 10:48 am
- A new look at abortion and race in AmericaTue, Jan 24, 2023 at 11:39 am
BusinessView More »
WALL STREET BUSINESS REPORT 1-27Listen Download