Salem Radio Network News Saturday, November 29, 2025

Business

Sheinbaum says Mexico secures new tariff reprieve, 90 days to strike trade deal

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) -Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said on Thursday that she secured a pause on new tariffs coming into effect and a 90-day period to work on a trade deal in a call with U.S. President Donald Trump.

The agreement avoids the 30% tariffs that had been set to come into force on Friday.

Speaking in a regular press conference after the announcement, Sheinbaum said the pause safeguards the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) and means goods compliant with the pact will continue to be exempt from the 25% tariffs Trump imposed earlier this year due to the fentanyl crisis.

Approximately 85% of Mexican exports comply with the rules of origin outlined in the USMCA, according to Mexico’s economy ministry.

Economy Minister Marcelo Ebrard, speaking alongside Sheinbaum, said Thursday’s agreement brought the countries closer to securing a long-term trade agreement.

“All of this was achieved without a single concession on Mexico’s part,” said Ebrard. “It’s a great achievement.”

Both Sheinbaum and Ebrard stressed that the pause means Mexico continues to be one of the countries in the world with most preferential access to the U.S. market.

(Reporting by Aida Pelaez-Fernandez, Brendan O’Boyle, and Emily Green; editing by Stephen Eisenhammer)

Previous
Next
The Media Line News
Salem Media, our partners, and affiliates use cookies and similar technologies to enhance your browsing experience, analyze site traffic, personalize site content, and deliver relevant video recommendations. By using this website and continuing to navigate, you consent to our use of such technologies and the sharing of video viewing activity with third-party partners in accordance with the Video Privacy Protection Act and other privacy laws. Privacy Policy
OK
X CLOSE